We’re looking for 12 young people (18-30 years) to lead Youth Stop AIDS by joining our Steering Committee! As a voluntary Board Member, you’ll guide Youth Stop AIDS decision-making, be an ambassador for the network and provide support to the campaign and network in different areas.
So if you’re passionate about youth-led development, HIV & AIDS and believe in our values, then keep reading! This opportunity is open to anyone (18 – 30 years) based anywhere in the UK and will run from November 2016 to October 2017.
What do you expect of Steering Committee members?
- To volunteer at least 2 hours per week to Youth Stop AIDS (on average, of course you could spend more time!)
- Attend 4 physical meetings during the year – Meetings will take place Saturday 26th November 2016 (London), 7th January, April 22nd and June (June date and other locations TBC). We will cover the cost of travel.
- Take action! We’ll support you to take direct action, spread the word, lobby and fundraise!
- To each lead on one area to support, promote, represent or improve Youth Stop AIDS e.g. making sure our campaign is inclusive to young people from all backgrounds, reaching out to new groups of young people or new media ambassadors, supporting young individuals or group activities directly, helping with the Speaker Tour 2017, etc.
- Peer Mentor at least 1 designated Youth Stop AIDS Leader who is running a local group
- Support national events and activities, from online campaign action to joining and promoting our Speaker Tour (our most loved event!) in February 2017.
What support will I get?
- Campaign updates and information via the Youth Stop AIDS Network Facebook Group and group calls
- Ongoing one-to-one support (phone calls, WhatsApp, emails, etc) from the Coordinator
What else do I get from being in the Steering Committee?
- Contribute to positive local and global change!
- Learn about HIV & AIDS, International Development as well as campaign strategy and tactics
- Build your skills in network coordination, influencing and lobbying, writing and social media, and public speaking
- Being part of an exciting network of campaigners across the UK
Get more of a flavour of what you can do with Youth Stop AIDS by reading what Huck Magazine had to say about us, checking out this blog about our Speaker Tour and having a giggle at one of our favourite stunts from the year.
Feeling inspired?! Fill out this form by 1pm Thursday 3rd November 2016. Steering Committee members will be elected at the Youth Stop AIDS Big Weekend in Glasgow (4-6th November). Steering Committee members from 2015-2016 are welcome to re-apply this year.
Note: Young people living with HIV are strongly encouraged to apply