We’re looking for 10 young people (18-30 years) to lead Youth Stop AIDS by joining our Steering Committee! As a voluntary Board Member, you’ll guide Youth Stop AIDS decision-making, be an ambassador for the network and provide support to the campaign and network in different areas.
We have reserved 4 roles for regional organisers in the place where we have Youth Stop AIDS groups (London & South East, Midlands and Wales, Northern England and Scotland). In this role you’d be a Youth Stop AIDS regional leader – supporting groups and activists to be effective campaigners, representing their views in decision making, and promoting + representing Youth Stop AIDS in your region.
So if you’re passionate about youth-led development, HIV & AIDS and believe in our values, then keep reading! This opportunity is open to anyone (18 – 30 years) based anywhere in the UK and will run from October 2017 to October 2018.
What do you expect of Steering Committee members?
- To volunteer at least 1 hour per week to Youth Stop AIDS (on average, of course you could spend more time!)
- Attend 4 physical meetings during the year – Meetings will take place Saturday Nov 11th (Leeds), March, June and August (exact date and other locations TBC). We will cover the cost of travel.
- Take action! We’ll support you to take direct action, spread the word, lobby and fundraise!
- As a team work to ensure our campaign is inclusive to young people from all backgrounds, reaching out to new groups of young people or new media ambassadors, supporting young individuals or group activities directly, helping with the Speaker Tour 2018.
- Support national events and activities, from online campaign action to joining and promoting our Speaker Tour (our most loved event!) in February 2018.
Additional role of Youth Stop AIDS regional organisers
- Remain in contact at absolute minimum once a month (phone call) with societies and regional leaders in their regions.
- Update and inform societies in their regions about developments in campaign after SC meetings.
- Represent Youth Stop AIDS in your region
- Provide support with President handovers
What support will I get?
- Campaign updates and information via the Youth Stop AIDS Network Facebook Group and group calls
- Ongoing one-to-one support (phone calls, WhatsApp, emails, etc) from the Coordinator
What else do I get from being in the Steering Committee?
- Contribute to positive local and global change!
- Learn about HIV & AIDS, International Development as well as campaign strategy and tactics
- Build your skills in network coordination, influencing and lobbying, writing and social media, and public speaking
- Being part of an exciting network of campaigners across the UK
Get more of a flavour of what you can do with Youth Stop AIDS by reading what Huck Magazine had to say about us, checking out this media piece about our Speaker Tour and having a giggle at one of our favourite stunts.
Feeling inspired?! Fill out this form by 5pm Friday 20th October . Steering Committee members will be elected at the Youth Stop AIDS Big Weekend in Brighton on the 22nd October. Steering Committee members from 2016-2017 are welcome to re-apply this year.
Note: Young people living with HIV are strongly encouraged to apply