We’re looking for 2 young people (18-32 years) to play a key role in leading Youth Stop AIDS by joining our Steering Committee which currently has 6 members! As a voluntary Board Member, you’ll guide Youth Stop AIDS decision-making, be an ambassador for the network and provide support to the campaign and network in different areas.
So if you’re passionate about youth-led development, HIV & AIDS and believe in our values, then keep reading! This opportunity is open to anyone (18 – 32 years) based anywhere in the UK for the Campaign Mentor role and in Northern England for the Northern Organiser role, and will run from April to November 2019.
What positions are we recruiting for?
Northern Organiser – Through using community organising principles, you’ll help our movement grow in your region whilst supporting groups and activists to be effective campaigners. You’ll represent campaigners in decision making and be a local Youth Stop AIDS ambassador for the network.
Campaign Mentor – Whether it’s advocating for PrEP to be provided on the NHS or standing up for LGBT+ rights around the world – we know that our movement campaigns on lots of issues that are related to the HIV response. In this role you’ll support young leaders within our movement, including those living with HIV, to be empowered and effective campaigners on the issues that they are most passionate about. You will also help represent the views of the people you’re working with in Steering Committee meetings.
Other Committee roles already filled – Scottish Organiser, London and South East Organiser, Missing Medicines Officer, Fundraising Officer, It Ain’t Over Officer, Inclusivity and Diversity Officer
What do we expect of Steering Committee members?
- To volunteer at least 1 hour per week to Youth Stop AIDS (on average, of course you could spend more time!)
- Attend three physical meetings during the year – The next meetings will be in June and September. We will cover the cost of travel.
- Take action! We’ll support you to take direct action, spread the word, lobby and fundraise!
- As a team, you’ll work to ensure our campaign is inclusive to young people from all backgrounds, reaching out to new groups of young people or new media ambassadors and supporting young campaigners or group activities directly.
- Support national events and activities, from online campaign action to joining and promoting our headline events like Day of Action and The Speaker Tour.
What support will I get?
- Campaign updates and information via the Youth Stop AIDS Network Facebook Group and group calls.
- Training, support and guidance from Restless Development and STOPAIDS staff.
- Ongoing one-to-one support (phone calls, WhatsApp, emails, etc) from the Youth Stop AIDS Coordinator.
What else do I get from being in the Steering Committee?
- Contribute to positive local and global change!
- Learn about HIV & AIDS, International Development as well as campaign strategy and tactics
- The opportunity to attend external meetings with NGO and private sector partners
- Build your skills in network coordination, influencing and lobbying, writing and social media, and public speaking
- Being part of an exciting network of campaigners across the UK
Feeling inspired?! Fill out this form by 9am Tuesday 23rd April. Previous Steering Committee members are welcome to re-apply this year.
If you have any questions, please email Harriet (Youth Stop AIDS Coordinator) on firstname.lastname@example.org
Note: Young people living with HIV are strongly encouraged to apply